Our brains are a mystery. We wonder how that size can carry so much responsibility and possibilities. It was the Professor Roger Sperry from the University of California who revealed the functions of the left and right-side brain.
He identified the following functions of the left-brain:
- Seat of logic: The left brain is the base of analytical and logical thinking. It does not end there because it is also the seat of verbal skill and it is in-charge of formulating evocative languages. Now you know which part of the brain to improve.
- Governs the right: It is the left brain that governs the right side of body including the field of vision.
- Manages goals: The left brain is the “managerial mind”. This means that it is responsible for setting goals including plans and assessments.
- Perceives time: It is the left brain that perceives and distinguishers time.
Now that we know the functions of the left-brain, it is time to improve it. The most important function of the left brain is logical thinking and we should know how to use it to our own advantage. The left brain will work with verifiable information and that information has been scientifically confirmed. This information will then allow us to develop knowledge which is crucial in the creation of logical deductions.
We have to remember that the brain’s logical or scientific approach relies on the information that we perceive in the world around us. Because of logical thinking, Singapore has become progressive because of many inventions and innovations. However, there remains to be a challenge – in a fast-paced world, the information around us will be swiftly out-of-date.
Sugars are lurking in the food we eat every day. Try as we might, we can’t avoid them especially if they are hidden in our favorite snacks and dishes. This can sabotage diet that is already going smoothly. In order to give awareness, we’re listing some of the highly sugary foods kept in secret.
Your everyday bagel
Most of us choose bagels over doughnuts thinking that we’re doing ourselves a favor because bagels have lesser sugar. Boy, can we be more wrong. Plain bagels contain about 7 grams of sugar. Cinnamon bagels have 11 grams and added cream cheese can add up 2 to 3 more grams of sugar.
Your favorite flavored yogurt
Your favorite strawberry yogurt may be your guilt-free way of indulging in dessert but it’s also packed in sugar- about 23 grams of it. Even those light varieties pack up 10 grams of sugar. If you want your yogurt to be the healthy type, stick to the plain Greek yogurt.
Trusty granola bars
The classic on-the-go breakfast you have whenever you’re in a hurry, granola bars are one of those snacks that are pretending to be healthy. Most of them are manufactured to contain a lot of sugar, especially those flavored ones.
Your salad companion
Eating salads seems like a way for us to eat healthy but many of the dressing and sauces we put in our mixture of greens and other veggies contain about 10 grams of sugar. Even savory sauces like barbecue salad sauces contain molasses and brown sugar, meaning a bottle of these contain 11 grams of sugar.
Comfort canned soup
A favorite during chilly days, canned soup is not only high in sodium content, it is also alarmingly abundant in sugar. An average canned tomato soup has about 10 to 13 grams of sugar.
Snacking on raisins
Dried fruits like raisins seem like a healthy snack choice since they are still fruits after all. Little do we know, fruits like grapes are high in sugar content. When dried, we get a more concentrated amount of sugar. The sugar content can reach as high as 29 grams, equivalent to eating a whole bag of Skittles.
When we work, we just think of surviving but we do not consider thriving. We have to be healthy so we can thrive and live comfortably in the future. Being healthy when working is hard because of different habits like sleep debt, overtime, being stagnant and drinking too much coffee. We have to make sure that these habits do not take a toll on our health before it is too late.
What are the healthy habits for working people? Here are the list and hopefully it can help us be more aware of our actions:
- Keep hydrated: Experts are serious when they say that we need to hydrate and drink at least six to eight glasses a day. We lose water all the time and water is important in the body. The best thing to do is have a cup or bottle by our side all the time. During our afternoon breaks, we can simply consider tea but never soda.
- Keep sanitary: In the office, there are many places where germs and bacteria lurk. Our best defence is to carry a bottle of sanitizer all the time. If we want, we can consider alcohol and put it by our side all the time.
- Keep your proper posture: If we are on the field all the time, we will not worry about our posture but if we sit next to the computer, we have a reason to be concerned about our posture. We need to practice good desk posture by sitting straight and having our elbows at the right angle as well as our wrists and forearms.
- Keep moving: Yes, we sit when we work but being stagnant may not be that convenient. Our body should keep moving. We need stretching for at least a few minutes from time to time. We can also execute a ten-second rotations and stretches of neck, calves, arms, feet and wrists. Resting the eyes is important as well.
- Keep away from sugar: When we eat snacks, our instinct is to look for sugary treats. Experts remind us to avoid such. Instead of sugary treats, we can consider fruits, nuts and sandwich. Our body will surely thank us when we consider healthy foods.
It is necessary that we kick the bad habits right away and acquire these healthy ones. We have to remember that it will make a difference at the end of the day. If everything is difficult at once, we can consider one healthy habit at a time.