We just want to travel as fast as we can to maximize our time that is why we consider traveling via airplane. Travelling via airplane is a marvellous experience; nothing beats the view from above, right? However, these days, many Singaporeans are increasingly poignant because of plane accidents.
Aviation history is at its darkest now. Every day, more and more people are afraid of boarding because of the accidents. What were these accidents? Here are some accounts:
- October 16, 2013: Lao Airlines Flight 301 crashed into Mekong River killing forty four passengers and five crew members.
- November 17, 2013: Tatarstan Airlines Flight 363 crashed while they are attempting to land. It killed fifty people.
- March 8, 2014: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was a mystery. The Boeing skipped radar and vanished with their two hundred twenty seven passengers and twelve crew members. Due to this event, Civil Aviation Organization is now implanting tracking every fifteen minutes.
- July 17, 2014: Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was shot down by Russian insurgents in Ukraine which killed two hundred eighty three passengers and fifteen crew members.
- December 28, 2014: Indonesia AirAsia Flight 8501 crashed somewhere in Borneo killing one hundred fifty passengers and seven crew members.
- February 4, 2015: TransAsia Airways Flight 235 crashed in Taiwan killing forty two passengers and crew members.
- March 24, 2015: Germanwings Airbus A320 crashed in French Alps killing one hundred forty four passengers and six crew members.
Despite the events, we should not be afraid because the aviation industry is doing its best to be better. Travelling inside or outside of Singapore should be fun not full of horror.
Every year, Singaporeans anticipate public holidays because it is their time to rest, relax and celebrate with the family. Public holidays are celebrated by every country but the number of holidays varies depending on the country. Here in Singapore, public holidays are only eleven days. People are happy with whatever they can get on top of their annual leave.
Do you know which country has the most public holidays? You have to know which country not to envy them but to understand them. Wego, a travel search website has compiled a list of countries with the most holidays. So, here is the list:
- 21 days of Public Holidays: Only India gets 21 days of Public Holidays. They topped the list of countries with the most holidays. Indians are surely happy about this. They have plenty of time to do the things that they want.
- 18 days of Public Holidays: The second place went to Columbia and Philippines. The two countries allocate 18 days for the observance of their holidays.
- 17 days of Public Holidays: China and Hongkong are in the third place. They spend 17 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 16 days of Public Holidays: Thailand, Turkey and Pakistan have 16 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 15 days of Public Holidays: Japan, Malaysia, Argentina, Lithuania, Vietnam and Sweden have 15 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 14 days of Public Holidays: Indonesia, Chile and Slovakia have 14 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 13 days of Public Holidays: South Korea, Austria, Belgium, Norway and Taiwan have 13 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 12 days of Public Holidays: Finland and Russia have at least 12 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 11 days of Public Holidays: Italy, Denmark, France, United Arab Emirates, Czech Republic and Luxembourg have 11 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 10 days of Public Holidays: United States, Portugal, Poland, Ukraine, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Croatia and Romania have 10 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 9 days of Public Holidays: Serbia, Germany and Hungary have 9 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 8 days of Public Holidays: United Kingdom, Spain and Canada have 8 holidays marked on their calendar.
- 7 days of Public Holidays: Mexico has the least holidays with only 7 days marked on their calendar.
Though Singaporeans only get eleven days, we are in fact lucky compared to Mexico, United Kingdom, Spain and Canada. The only challenge here is how to maximize the time you have. There are a lot of things that you can consider during holidays.
For students that are interested in perfumery and cosmetic, Singapore Polytechnic launched S$1 million worth of modern facility on January 7, 2014. The 575 square meters facility can help students develop and formulate products like soaps and scents. The facility is called Perfumery and Cosmetic Science Centre. The facility features 3 sectors for the students to be trained. The sectors include Research & Design, Formulation and Development of the final saleable products.
The facility is a good start to develop Singapore’s personal care products. In fact here in Singapore, there are at least 5 fragrance brands. According to the figures provided by the Singapore Economic Development Board (SEDB), the fragrance industry will significantly rise here in Asia by 2017. There will be forty per cent rise which will produce S$20 billion. That’s a pretty big market.
If you love perfumes, there are other things that you need to know. The following things can give you more knowledge about perfumes:
Perfume refers to the mixture of essential oils and alcohol that can create a fragrance. Essential oils can be natural or synthetic. Natural essential oils are extracted from plants, flowers and many more. Synthetic essential oils are created in laboratories.
You should know that perfumers have this categorization of fragrance. There categories of fragrance include Floral, Oriental, Chypre, Green and Fougre. The largest category is the floral fragrances. The heaviest is Oriental.
- Classifications of Fragrance
There are classifications of fragrance. The classification is based on the fragrance’s strength or percentage of the compound used. Classifications of fragrance include Perfume, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Cologne and Splash Cologne.
What are you waiting for? You should visit the new centre and if you like it, enrol yourself. Perfumery is not easy and it needs science, technology and art. The new centre can be of great help.
You watch the basketball game and feel tremendously joyful as the team embraces victory. But, you do know that behind every team’s success is a person who helped them, inspired them and probably even sacrificed for them. Here are some of the reputable names who contributed to the prestige of known basketball teams over the years.
Brown is labeled as one of best basketball coaches for he knows how to properly inspire teams and get the best out of them. His records during his 25-year career as NBA coach showed that he has nearly 1,500 victories and has a winning percentage of .577. Under his supervision, the Kansas Jayhawks won the NCAA Championship Title in 1988, while the Detroit Pistons championed in the 2004 NBA Finals.
In his stay in the NBA arena as coach for 24 years, Riley proved his prowess in mentoring players as shown by the 5 championships he has won with the L.A. Lakers and Miami Heat. He has a record of 1210-694 and winning games on a.636 percentage.
Being head coach of the San Antonio Spurs, Gregg Popovich is considered as one of the best coaches over the last 10 NBA seasons. With only 13 years in the career, he already has 633 wins and only 305 losses. He pulled the team towards four championships and eleven winning seasons. With a winning percentage of .646, he also bagged the title of Coach of the Year back in 2002.
After leading the Celtics to nine championships and eight titles from 1959-1966, it’s not a wonder Auerback got included in the NBA Hall of Fame in 1969 and why he remains a big name even today. He has a record of 823-426 and winning percentage of .603.
With his record of 980-418, Jackson is recognized as the greatest coach of all time. Complemented by his winning percentage of .703 (which is the highest so far), he remains unbeatable. He received the Coach of the Year award in season 1995-1996 and got inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame in 2007.